07 Nov Master Data Management System – the latest version is now available!
Many multi-subsidiary companies face daily problems with data structure and communication between subsidiaries, as well as individual users.
Subsidiaries use their own databases and different systems which makes it impossible to communicate effectively. This has business drawbacks in many operational areas. The lack of standardised data management triggers problems with monitoring subsidiary performance as well as applying uniform pricing and distribution policies. Processes get more and more inefficient.
MDMS is an add-on solution for Microsoft Dynamics NAV certified by Microsoft. It supports data synchronisation and standardisation in multi-subsidiary companies. It can be extended with new sets of features to meet growing demands of users and markets during the digital transformation.
The system proves useful, particularly when individual locations work on autonomous databases. The implementation of the solution makes sense, provided that the subsidiaries (including the head office) already use or are planning to use Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Dynamics 365 Business Central) in the near future.
- Lack of unified database, integrated between all company locations. That would facilitate the introduction of changes in the entire organization;
- Different inventory numbering systems – hindering the comparison of stock levels between locations;
- Lack of ability to enter central pricelists, design BOMs, etc. As well as facing difficulties in their distribution between subsidiaries;
- Difficulties in entering group contracts for vendors;
- The need to monitor data in each company separately;
- Additional communication difficulties within EDI.
This solution has been designed to support the creation and management of cards based on data stored in a master database including items, production BOMs, price lists, customers and vendors.
If MDR is used, local subsidiaries do not create their local cards. This option is blocked. All cards are created in a central database, and then they are shared with users from all subsidiaries. This means that MDR data is replicated to subsidiaries.
Data can be edited only within the repository, which enables complete data standardisation and consistency. The replication scope as well as edit permissions are fully customizable. Which makes it possible to provide selected users with additional features.
For selected replications, it is possible to define and group customers by the default structure (a parent database) and the local database, e.g. in China, Japan or Germany.
Groups can be created for individual customers, (e.g. the European one). Which will allow to define replication with a single action – „Send new items to European customers”.
Master Data Management System includes the Super User feature that allows to assign greater privileges to the user (e.g. permissions to modify records, contrary to standard users).
The primary purpose of the Master Data Management System is not only to distribute data and cards but also to prevent users from editing all information that was entered. Similar reservations apply to the central database in which master data must be harmonized.
With Master Data Management System, it is possible to define exceptions for selected users for instance. As the process is of critical importance, you can grant special permissions (e.g. permissions to remove or change the names of IDs) to specific users.
The Rename option, during replication (changing the master key of the record) is blocked. It is not possible to change record IDs in the tables.
When changes are made while the job queue is running in the background. It might be the case that half of the companies receive jobs with the old code and the other half with the new code. This may cause serious data inconsistencies in the system.
When the user tries to modifty a value of the replicated field, an error message will be displayed.
In the latest Master Data Management System version, with the web service recipients setup. When an attempt is made to delete the record. The system will check remotely all recipients a selected record was sent to. The solution will verify whether the record can be deleted. If all recipients agree, the record will be removed.
In this way, by automating processes, we can streamline business activities and ensure data consistency within the entire organization.
With the event handling feature, the module can be easily extended with users’ own elements, by subscribing published events, without any modifications. Changes can be implemented with just a few lines of the source code.
Users can also easily program non-standard business processes related to master data. Such as sending various inventory posting groups depending on the profile of the recipient company.
- Ability to automatically copy datasets, by automating the majority of processes. Without the hassle of manual retyping of data.
- Quick insight into the shipping history of individual records. Users can check when, where and to whom the shipments were sent.
- Effective management of subsidiaries by the head office;
- Enhanced data management and a reliable insight into day-to-day operations;
- Complete synchronization and distribution of data to all related business entities;
- Efficient replication;
- Secure modification of records with modification confirmation messages;
- Customer grouping feature;
- Automation of processes that were previously implemented manually;
- Globally optimised changes in supply chain management;
- Consistency of technical and marketing data;
- Possibility to compare production specification.